Founded in 2007 by Gangplank Authority Labs has fast become one of the top web-based rank checkers used by SEOs. The platform offers a fully automated service that allows you to track your site’s ranking performance in Google, Yahoo and Bing, across hundreds of different keywords.
Authority Labs offers a variety of subscription plans, making it affordable for small businesses but scalable for large organizations; positioning the web-based application an attractive option for many SEO’s.
What is a web-based application?
A web-based application is different from a desktop application in the fact that it runs off and is entirely housed on a network. A web-based application relies on the client-server model, meaning data is stored and served up via a server or intranet. In comparison, a desktop application runs off a local disk and is self-contained on a single device.
Some of the benefits of web-based applications include the ability for multiple users to access the data, automated and continual system updates to the platform, and the ability to access the application from any location.
How to use the Authority Labs Rank Checker
The Authority Labs tool has a clean, simple interface and is fairly intuitive to use, however there are a few tips and tricks that will help you master the tool much quicker.
For those of you who are unfamiliar with Authority Labs here are the in’s-and-out’s to using the tool – and even a few advanced tips for all you seasoned pros!
Your Login Frequency Affects How Often your Rankings are Pulled
One of the first questions our team had when using Authority Labs was, “How do I know if our rankings have been updated?” Authority Labs updates all rankings daily, but the timing is not always consistent and the rankings displayed may still be from the day before. The easiest way to tell if your rankings have been updated for the day is to look at the date displayed on the right-hand side when you first log into your account. Every time Authority Labs updates the rankings they will also change the date listed. If you’re still seeing yesterday’s date, you’re still seeing yesterday’s rankings.
So at what time during the day are the rankings updated? Well it depends. The earlier on in the day you log into your account the sooner your rankings will be updated.
You can track rankings across a variety of site types
Authority Labs easily allows you to track your site’s performance in the SERPs by entering a URL in the box marked ‘Start typing a domain or page…’ However, tracking isn’t limited to only Root Domains, you can also track a subdomain, subfolder, or even an exact URL.
Look for highlighted number to identify a change in rankings
When you click on a domain you will see your rankings listed for each keyword you are tracking. Easily identify a change in rankings by looking for the highlighted numbers.
Use this formatting as a quick way to indicate issues with your site, or problems with your SEO campaign. If your rankings fluctuate heavily it may be a sign that Google isn’t sure which page to rank for which keywords because of problems with your site architecture. This functionality will also help you notice if there’s a large-scale drop in rankings across many keywords. This could indicate that your site has been hit by a penalty, or a change to Google’s ranking algorithm.
Group and Sync Domains for easy updates
One of the cool features that sets Authority Labs apart from other ranking tools is the ability to group similar domains. When optimizing a site you shouldn’t work in a vacuum, you need to be aware of what your competitors are doing and how this is impacting their rankings. Group your competitors’ domains to your domain to easily add or subtract keywords, and update keyword tags, across all sites. Sync domains if you wish to duplicate all the keywords in a keyword set.
You can view a list of all grouped domains on the right-hand side of the ‘Rankings’ page for each domain tracked. This allows you to easily track a competitor’s rankings in comparison to your own. You always have the option to ungroup domains if you wish to do so at a later date.
For those who can’t get enough data, there’s an API!
If you’re looking to pull rankings on a large-scale (we’re talking 100 SERPs for each keyword across Google, Yahoo and Bing) then the Authority Lab’s API can help give you this information. The price of the API is based upon usage and will pull back all information in the JSON format. Currently, the tool is averaging 22.5 queries per week after four months of availability. The information from this API is great for companies who are looking to build their own tools or apps based upon ranking.
Benefits of Authority Labs Search Engine Ranking Tool
Along with being valued and trusted by large companies such as Symantec, Mint.com, Choice Hotels, Jobing.com, Encyclopedia.com and many others, they are also trusted by LinchpinSEO, and power the rank tracking for our local clients in Syracuse, Raleigh, Chicago, and around the globe. Authority Labs Ranking Tools have tons of benefits over other competitive ranking tools, and a few are listed below.
- Fully Automated: Just plug in the domains and keywords that you want to track and we’ll take it from there.
- Scalabile: Built on a highly scalable and robust architecture, they can handle enormous amounts of data quickly and efficiently.
- Unlimited Users: No extra licenses to buy, no per user fees to pay.
- 100% White Label: With AuthorityLabs’ white label system available for Pro and Enterprise accounts, you can add a custom logo, run the app on your own URL, have system emails come from your email address, and change the text of the emails sent from the system.
- Track Local Results: They will report local results showing for your keywords as well as the position of your site in those results if it is shown.
- International Support: They currently support results in 35 different countries.
- Daily Monitoring: The more data you have, the faster you can see and respond to dramatic changes in rankings.
- 1 Keyword is 1 Keyword: With AuthorityLabs, each keyword that you add to your account counts as exactly one keyword. They don’t count it as three keywords if you’re checking it across different search engines at the same time or you track the same keyword on 100 different domains for the same country, it’s still only counted as one keyword.
- Available Anywhere: Your AuthorityLabs ranking data is available anywhere, allowing anyone on your team to quickly access the data they need without having to request reports from a limited number of users.
Authority Labs Q&A
How accurate is your data? What about local and personal results?
When we access search engines we look like a new visitor with every search we perform, so you know exactly where you rank for people who are exposed to your site for the first time through search.
Will my website be penalized if I use AuthorityLabs?
No. If using a rank checker such as AuthorityLabs could cause a site to get penalized, people could easily get their competitors’ sites penalized by checking the rankings for those sites.
Read More or Sign Up today and start trending your rankings with one of the best Rank Checking Tools we have found.